16 Eylül 2013 Pazartesi

How to Make Shaving Something You'll Enjoy





Shaving. For most of us, it is a chore. Something we could do without and we blow through it as quickly as we can every morning. But what if we could make shaving something we actually enjoy -- a ritual that we look forward to? That's what one of my clients, Rick Fernandez, has actually done. I spoke with Rick about how he changed his mindset and found out for myself that you can actually turn shaving into something you look forward to. Here's how:
Make Time
Most of us rush though shaving as the last thing we do before getting dressed and bolting out the door in the morning. Shaving is something you do by yourself, so it's a really great way to claim some "me time" each day. Slowing down and using proper shaving technique can give you fifteen or twenty minutes to relax and reflect without interruption each day. Now, if you're like me and not a morning person (and you have a fairly light beard), I suggest moving your shaving ritual from morning to night. I've found I'm much more likely to slow down and enjoy the process (sometimes with a glass of great scotch) at night. I use this time to plan positive things for the coming day and I've found it to be very therapeutic.
Go Old School
While I don't recommend going out and buying a straight razor, I would recommend shaving with a traditional double edge (or "DE") razor. Razors today are designed to give allow you to shave as quickly as possible with minimal irritation, but the old school DE razor (with the right blades) will give you an incredibly close shave (even on sensitive skin) as long as you slow down and don't apply pressure (allow the weight of the razor to provide all the pressure you need). I love the Merkur Hefty Classic razor with Feather "High Stainless Platinum" Double-Edge Blades (which are crazy sharp and at around $.60 per blade, it is a bargain).
In addition to switching your razor, I recommend opting for a great silver-tip badger brush. Applying your shaving cream with a having brushs has certain advantages. First, the brush will help create a richer lather. The brush, used in a circular motion, will also help lift the beard and exfoliate the skin for a closer shave. While there are cheaper brushes made of out of boar bristle or nylon, I recommend the badger brush as badger hair is hollow and holds more water (which will help create a better lather). I paid just under $200 for a beautiful chrome Edwin Jagger silver tip badger brush nearly a decade ago and it has served me well.
Use Great Products
In terms of getting a close shave, you can't go wrong with the traditional English shaving creams. These glycerine-based creams create a rich lather and amazing lubrication for less razor drag (which will minimize razor burn and other shaving problems). A lot of these creams really smell great, too. I'm partial to Geo. Trumper's Rose Shaving Cream. I find the fragrance quite relaxing -- it's one of my top five shaving creams.
Moisturize
This is often the most overlooked step in shaving. Using a good moisturizer after the shave will help replace essential oils and moisture stripped by shaving. A good moisturizer will also help calm the skin and reduce irritation. I love Dreadnought Post Shave Balm wich really soothes my skin and smells great.
Go to the Barbershop
If you really want a relaxing shave that will really help you unwind, find an upscale barbershop near you and get a professional shave. The classic barbershop shave is a great ritual involving hot towels, premium shaving product, and a blade being wielded by a professional. This is a great opportunity to get some solid shaving advice and a good barber can recommend products that match your skin type. A professional shave is worth the investment.
By using the best products, slowing down and taking the time to do it right using proper technique, and claiming the time as your "me time," shaving can become a routine that is relaxing and something you can actually look forward to.



Kaynak: about.com

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder